I have never been a fan of message t-shirts. Give me a t-shirt that says: “World’s greatest Dad” and I ‘d probably never wear it. If you really mean it, paint it on the side of a Porsche 911. I promise to drive the hell out of it! In most instances, there is a disconnect between the sentiment expressed and the wearer.
I would guess that idiots who chose to wear a Che t-shirt have no idea that he was a murderous psychopath. Che was Castro’s hatchet man during the Cuban revolution and was responsible for executing “political prisoners.” His famous last words (I’m paraphrasing) “You can’t shoot me, I’m famous.” The message went unheeded. Well, at least he got the t-shirt.
In some instances, the message is not about color coordination or does this shirt make me look fat? For the wearer the message is an expression of commitment and agreement. This is particularly true in the world of politics.
When Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Chief of Staff is photographed wearing a t-shirt with a Che style portrait on his chest, it is a statement. It has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with politics. The question becomes who is that guy?
The portrait is that of Subhas Chandra Bose. Big deal, who is he when he has his pants on? Bose was an Indian nationalist (dot, not feather) who was opposed to British rule of India. Towards that end, he aligned himself with the Axis powers. For the historically challenged, that is Germany, Italy and Japan. He met personally with Hitler and received funding and support from the Nazis.
In return, he recruited Indian soldiers, captured in North Africa, to form military units attached to the German SS. He was so enamored with the fascists that his goal was to replace British rule in India with a soviet style regime. Allied with the fascists, working to establish a communist regime in India. At least in Bose’s mind, he couldn’t see the difference between the two.
• Bose was an ally of Adolf Hitler and met with him personally in 1942.
• Bose founded the Free India Legion (FIL) made up of troops captured by Nazi Field Marshal Rommel’s Afrika Korps.
• The FIL swore an oath to Hitler and was under SS command.
• Bose teamed up with the Japanese in 1943.
• Bose was an admirer of the USSR and sought to implement its authoritarian practices in India.
Bose may have been a champion for India. He was also a British subject. There is no description for his actions other than treason.
Saikat Chakrabarti, Chief of Staff for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is displaying his sentiments on his chest. In an atmosphere where every action is fraught with meaning, AOC apparently has no objection to his views.
Periodically, people will agitate for term limits for elected officials. I am not a fan of the concept. It isn’t that I disagree. I think that advocates of term limits are focused on the wrong target. Let’s look at some elected representatives.
- Teddy Kennedy. It is likely he never drew a sober breath during his tenure in the Senate.
- His nephew, Patrick Kennedy carried on the family tradition. Leaving politics after going to rehab.
- Congressman Hank Johnson worried that the Island of Guam would capsize if additional Marines were deployed to the island.
- Congresswoman Shelia Jackson Lee claimed the U.S. Constitution was four hundred years old. She was only off by about one hundred and twenty-five years.
- Senator Kamala Harris got her start in politics by being mistress to former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown. I would be the last person to belittle her ability to give good head. I just don’t see that talent as an indicator of Presidential quality.
- Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez proposes that within ten years people take the train to Europe.
The problem isn’t the mental midgets that get sent to congress. They are nothing more than ventriloquist dummies, without the wit, charm and endearing qualities of the dummies.
Jeff Dunham and Achmed
Jeff: So, Achmed, do you like being in D.C?
Achmed: I think some idiots might live here. For example, the Washington Monument! It looks nothing like the guy. It looks more like a tribute to Bill Clinton!
Term limits need to be aimed at the staffers who control the halfwits that get sent to Congress. Elected representatives come and go, staffers just change offices. These unelected, largely invisible individuals play their patrons just as surely as Jeff Dunham as manipulates his creations.
Just to set the record straight. I did, occasionally, wear a shirt with a message. Here are two that I am fond of. If I could fit into the shirts I’d still wear them.